Recognized on the state and national level for quality care
Among Ellis' honors:
- New York State designated Primary Stroke Center and nationally recognized for outstanding stroke care having won a Gold/Gold Plus Award from the American Stroke Association for the last six years (2007-2012).
- For weight loss surgery, Ellis is a designated Center of Excellence by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatic Surgery.
- A Blue Distinction Center for Knee & Hip Replacement as awarded by Empire BlueCross BlueShield to medical facilities that demonstrate expertise in delivering quality care.
- Ellis is listed among the nation's top 101 spine and neurosurgery programs by Becker's Hospital Review.
- The Ellis Medicine Sleep Disorders Center is fully accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine for meeting the highest standards of quality patient care.
- Ellis is a 2011 MassExcellence Silver Baldrige Award winner, recognized for our dedication and work to create a culture and systems where innovation and performance excellence become the accepted norm.
- Ellis’ Diabetes Day By Day program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes self management education.
- Ellis’ Primary Care & Pelvic Health Associates and Family Health Center have earned Diabetes Recognition Program status by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for providing high quality care to patients with diabetes.
- Ellis Family Practice Associates and Glenville HealthCare Center have earned Level 1 Primary Care Medical Home status by NCQA for their patient-centered, coordinated care management processes.
Measures of quality
Ellis' performance is measured in a number of ways, including tracking clinical care and patient outcomes, as well as patient satisfaction. Ellis participates in quality initiatives with several regulatory and ratings agencies, such as the New York State Department of Health, the Joint Commission, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Institute of Health Care Improvement and Press Ganey. Ellis adopts and follows an annual Performance Improvement Plan, and the Quality Department works daily with doctors and nurses to address areas of concerns and enhance quality of care.
A complete picture of quality
Many factors should be taken into account when choosing a hospital: accreditation by a nationally recognized accrediting agency, such as The Joint Commission; the reputation, experience and qualifications of physicians; and the range of services provided are just some of the criteria that should be considered. In addition to reviewing hospital report cards, you should also talk with friends and neighbors about their experiences, and consult with your physician in order to make a well-informed decision that you can be comfortable with.
For more information about Ellis quality performance, you can go online to:
If you have any questions about Ellis’ quality of care or about a score Ellis received on a hospital report care, please contact Ellis’ Quality Services Department at 518.243.4196.
Elevating care standards
The following chart shows how Ellis compares to the performance of other hospitals across the state and nation for the care of patients being treated for heart attacks, heart failure and pneumonia.
Lower instances of high-risk deliveries
At Bellevue Woman’s Center, a service of Ellis Medicine, the rate for cesarean (c-section) births is below the Northeastern New York rate. A cesarean birth is generally considered to involve more risk than a natural birth, so a lower c-section rate is more desirable than a higher rate. However, the risks and benefits associated with a cesarean or natural birth are different for each patient. Therefore, a pregnant woman should discuss these issues with her doctor.
Tracking and reporting on patients' experiences
Ellis keeps track of how satisfied patients are with the hospitals services. Ellis utilizes Press Ganey, a national health care ratings company, to survey patients following their stay at the hospital.